I originally titled this post “Breakfast With Mother,” but it sounded too much like a scene from a horror film, like Norman Bates taking his mom to brunch.
Anyway, in case you missed it, Mother’s Day is this Sunday, and I’m sure you’ve been reminded multiple times to make reservations. If you’re still scrambling for a Sunday brunch spot, I’m here with ten suggestions to celebrate Mom in style!
1. Salt & Pine – a newer addition from Grow Restaurants (Harvest Pizzeria, Sycamore). Creative brunch fare; big, beautiful space in a new building downtown.
3. Hoof Hearted Brewing – true to the kooky branding and flavors of Hoof Hearted beers, the brewpub brunch menu features items like breakfast nachos, poppy seed flapjacks, and donuts.
4. Valter’s at the Maennerchor – a favorite recent discovery. New spot in German Village right on High Street with a German-themed menu. Get the egg in a bell (like eggs in a nest but with bell peppers), German sausage, big breakfast skillet.
5. Acre – Acre just launched a new weekend brunch that picks up on the success of their wholesome menu using plenty of local ingredients. Eggs in Purgatory, polenta cakes, breakfast sandwiches. And their new patio is opening soon!
6. The Market Italian Village – The Market’s weekend brunch is still a hidden gem, in my opinion. Very casual spot, full bar, big beer selection, classy little brunch menu with benedicts, steak & eggs, breakfast hash, and more.
7. Lineage Brewing – we were wowed by their Sunday brunch. The menu is small but mighty, with chilaquiles, English mushrooms on toast, quiche, banana nut bread pudding. Also: beer.
8. The Table – I grow more and more in love with The Table every time I visit on one of my brunch tours. It’s cozy and welcoming, and geared toward comfort food worth gathering over. I love the French toast, the Dutch baby, and especially their akoori – spicy scrambled eggs.
9. Kraft House No. 5 – already a Powell classic. Big brunch items like burgers, chicken and waffles, short rib hash, croque madame, plus a Bloody Mary bar.
BONUS: if you love Starliner Diner, you should get there this week. Mother’s Day is Starliner’s last hurrah at their old location. They’ll be closing up and moving around the corner to Old Hilliard.
There are many other options to explore: Double Comfort, Big Room Bar, 101 Beer Kitchen, Nada, CBC Restaurant, The Crest, The Whitney House, Skillet, Worthington Inn, Milestone 229. Make a reservation today!