Disclaimer: this post was sponsored by Destination Delaware. Photos, thoughts, and opinions are my own.
We’re all looking for unique gift ideas this holiday season, and all around Delaware County you’ll find plenty of options for local shops with unique gifts, fun spots to share a memorable experience, and many favorites for food and drink. To help you find fun gifts while supporting local this year, we’ve rounded up some ideas from around the region!
From adorable downtowns Delaware or Powell or Sunbury, to Polaris Fashion Place, to everywhere in-between, you’ll find plenty of locally owned shops featuring clothing, toys, local foods, books, antiques, and more.
- Beanbag Books: our boys love visiting this bookstore every time we’re in Delaware
- Bedlam Bricks: a must-visit for any Lego fan, this shops offers new and used sets, plus hard-to-find figures
- Greater Gouda: it’s a cheese shop, yes, but this Delaware store is also loaded with local goods like eggs, snacks, meats, ice cream, home goods
- Gallery 22: operated by the Arts Castle, Gallery 22 features and sells work from local artists
- Cute As A Button: this little Powell shop offers all sorts of unique gifts for children
- Barn Door Boutique: hats, clothing, and other great gifts in Sunbury
- Second Sole: your go-to for shoes and athletic apparel in Delaware
- Liberty Antique Mall: one of many antique shops you’ll find around Powell, Delaware, Sunbury
- Homestretch Apparel: the spot for custom-printed apparel in Delaware
Hit the Brew Trail
Give the gift of beer or wine this holiday season! The region is full of breweries, wineries, beer bars, and bottle shops. You could gift a six-pack of cans or bottles, fill a growler, or give a gift card then join someone in the experience. Use the Delaware County Wine & Ale Trail to plan an itinerary that includes multiple stops, maybe with lunch, shopping, or a hike in a Preservation Park in-between.
Belly up at the bar:
- Staas Brewing: Staas is our favorite brewery in central Ohio, a family-owned corner pub that expertly brews a wide selection of beers
- Barley Hopsters: one of the OG beer stores in the region, they have a huge selection in bottles and cans, and more on tap
- Henmick Farm & Brewery: Henmick sits on a 100-year-old family farm, with a renovated barn for a taproom and lots of outdoor space
- Nocterra Brewing: another favorite of ours, this Powell brewery sits in an old train depot, with a huge beer garden and a Ray Ray’s BBQ truck parked on-stie
- Olentangy River Brewing Company: ORBC brews up a steady roster of beer; I’m partial to their IPAs and stouts. They’re also host to a location of Roosevelt Coffeehouse.
- Ill Mannered Brewing: another hit in Powell, Ill Mannered has a newer taproom with a constantly rotating beer list, patio space, and local food trucks
- Grizzlybird Brewing: formerly Galena Brewing, this Westerville taproom features great beer and plenty of community events
Whenever we’re able, we try to give the gift of experiences. We’d rather make some memories than get more stuff, and there are plenty of opportunities for these in Delaware County, from museums and the zoo to indoor and outdoor play areas.
Where to have some fun:
- Top Golf: this three-level driving range is open year-round, with heated bays where you can practice your drive while enjoying drinks and snacks
- Airhouse Adventure Park: built out of a former department store in Polaris, Airhouse is a massive complex with trampolines, climbing walls, games, ropes courses, an arcade, and enough to keep you moving for hours
- Immersive Van Gogh: this huge digital exhibition located near Polaris puts you in the middle of the Dutch master’s most famous works
- Viral Selfie Museum: this new Instagram-friendly museum offers a fun and photogenic time
- Olentangy Caverns: this seasonal stop opens April 1. You can gift some early tickets to explore the caverns, play mini golf, visit the animals, and more
- Star Lanes: our family loves bowling at Star Lanes, where you can dial up fun themed games like Hyperbowling
- Columbus Zoo & Aquarium: the zoo is always a hit, and a membership could be a gift that keeps giving all year
You know we love food, and all across the county are loads of great local eateries, where you can discover great coffee, a quick lunch, a fun dinner, or drinks (or all of it!). Take someone to dinner or get them a giftcard!
Grab a bite to eat here:
- Typhoon Asian Fusion Bistro: Typhoon in downtown Delaware serves a great mix of Chinese, Japanese, and Thai dishes. We’ve loved the sushi, General Tso’s, crab rangoons
- Kitchen Social: a friendly and convivial upscale pub that’s perfect for dinner, brunch, or drinks with friends
- The Royce: an gastropub serving brunch every day, plus lunch, dinner, cocktails in an elegant setting
- Novella Osteria: modern, scratch-made Italian fare made in the heart of Powell
- The Hamburger Inn: a Delaware institution, an old school spot for breakfast, burgers, quesadillas – and don’t forget the cinnamon rolls!
- Coffeeology: a warm and welcoming coffee shop that’s also loaded with gifts and apparel
- Huli Huli Tiki Lounge: a fun spot for tiki cocktails and lobster rolls
- The Backstretch: a long-running and beloved upscale dive in Delaware
- 1808 American Bistro: we’ve always had terrific meals at 1808, a sophisticated but approachable bistro featuring creative cocktails and a great beer selection
- Galena Diner: a beloved local diner in the heart of Galena
For more ideas on dining, shopping, entertainment, and accommodations, check out www.visitdelohio.com.
Disclaimer: this post and our visit was sponsored by Destination Delaware. Photos and opinions are our own.