Part two our of 2020 gift guide is here! This is certainly a year like no other, and so we’re sharing ideas for local gifts and experiences. Small businesses all need our support more than ever, and our four-part gift guide follows our travel mantra of Food, Park, Drink, & Art.
So now we present part two: PARK!
An Overnight Stays in a Treehouse, Yurt, or Cabin
Give someone the gift of a quiet overnight in the woods! Curl up, read books, watch movies, make dinner together. There are so many options within an easy drive from Columbus. Read about our stays in a treehouse at The Mohicans or in a yurt at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls. Or check out spots like Dwellbox in Dundee, Cherry Ridge Retreat in New Plymouth, or The Cliffs at Hocking Hills.
Art Walk + Dinner
Plan a walk to see some public art and pair it with lunch or dinner. Search the free public art database on ColumbusMakesArt.com, and find a nearby restaurant. Think of combos like:
- Sandwiches from Wario’s + mural-spotting in Short North
- Gemüt Biergarten or Addella’s on Oak and a walk to the Topiary Park
- Brunch at Stadium and coffee at Upper Cup or Blank Slate in Gahanna, then walk around to spot murals
- Grab dinner in Historic Dublin or Bridge Park, walk the new Dublin Link bridge and search for Dublin public art
- Carryout from Veritas + a walk to see sculptures on the Scioto Mile
Go to the Movies at the South Drive-In
The drive-in is a fun, safe, and socially distanced way to take someone to the movies! They’re still showing a fun range of movies these days. Check out their schedule here: drive-inmovies.com
A Visit to Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park
We always love a trip to Pyramid Hill in Hamilton. The park is dotted with 60+ sculptures across more than 600 acres of rolling hills and woods. They’re doing seasonal exhibitions and light shows, too, all good for social distancing. pyramidhill.org
Franklin Park Conservatory
The warm and lush conservatory offers seasonal displays and light shows, beautiful greenery, an outdoor train display, glass sculptures, and more. Give a year-long gift of a membership! fpconservatory.org
Park + Picnic
Similar to the art walk paired with dinner, grab lunch and take a stroll in a park. Some ideas:
- Brown Bag Deli, Boxwood Biscuits, Kolache Republic, Emmett’s + Schiller Park
- Lox Bagel Shop, Tasi Cafe, Brassica, Barley’s, North Market + Goodale Park
- Arepazo, Smoked on High, Rockmill Tavern, Harvest + Scioto Audubon Park
- Starliner Diner, Center Street Market + Roger Reynolds Park or Homestead Metro Park in Hilliard
- Or build an itinerary like our visit to The Wilds + burgers and ice cream in Zanesville
Pack a Picnic From a Local Market
Lots of park ideas! Create a custom picnic pack by visiting a locally owned market like the Hills Market (Downtown or Worthington), Weiland’s Market, or North Market. Each spot carries loads of local products: cheeses, breads, dips, wines, beers.
Local Coffee Cup + A Stroll
Several local coffee shops sell travel mugs. Order up a mug, fill it with coffee (or add a gift card!), and arrange a lovely stroll at a local park. Local spots like Florin Coffee and Stauf’s are selling great mugs.
Columbus City Adventures Holiday Lights Tours
I love love love Christmas lights, and Columbus City Adventures has revamped its Holiday Lights Tour as a safe, socially distanced walking tour Friday and Saturday nights. Private tours are available, too! columbuscityadventures.com/tours/holiday-lights EDIT: Holiday Lights tours were canceled for 2020 due to COVID-19.
Bring the Park Inside: Oakland Green Interiors or Stump
Liven up someone’s home with fresh greenery! This can be especially nice for anyone quarantined, working from home, schooling at home, or just needs a little joy brought to their living space, etc. Visit the experts at a local shop like Oakland Green Interiors or Stump.
Get Active at Play: CBUS
Book a time to in this indoor play park, with 52,000 square feet of ropes courses, climbing walls, and more. playadventureparks.com/location/columbus
See the full 2020 Holiday Gift Guide here!