There’s always a lot happening in the Columbus restaurant world! Here’s the latest:
- Jennings Java has moved and soft opened its new coffee shop at 116 E. Moler St. in Merion Village (the former home of Bake Me Happy). For now they’re serving brewed coffee, cold brew, and other treats from the rear of the space while their full coffee shop is being completed.
- Columbus’ newest brewery, Thunderwing Brewing, debuts at 2419 Scioto Harper Dr. at 3 p.m. today – Friday, Oct. 6. Thunderwing takes the place of Sideswipe Brewing, which closed up in August.
- A new beer bar and entertainment center from the owner of Old North Arcade, called Eupouria, opened yesterday. The space will feature live music, games, cocktails and wine, patios, and 40 self-serve taps of beer. Find Eupouria at 1568 N. High St. in the Gateway University District, formerly site of District PourHouse.
- The owner of Buzzsaw Brewing in Whitehall took to Instagram this week to share a message saying the brewery will close at the end of November. He cited ongoing challenges with keeping the business afloat. Buzzsaw opened in early 2021.
- A second location of Thrive Company’s combined coffee shop/bar concept, Bada Bean Bada Booze, opens today in Harrison West at 527 W. Fifth Ave. The first Bada Bean Bada Booze opened earlier this year in Italian Village.
- The next Sabo Sauce taco pop-up at The Lox Bagel Shop is next week Monday, Oct. 9 from 5:30-9 p.m. (We attended the one last month, and we highly recommend it!)
- Hunan Lion off Bethel Road shared this week that they’re temporarily closed following a kitchen fire Wednesday evening.
- Star Kitchen Café, a new casual eatery from the owners of the Gahanna Grill, has opened at 1471 S. High St., serving a casual menu of sandwiches, salads, chicken tenders, and coffee.
- A second location of the Korean fried chicken chain bb.q chicken is set to open on Monday, Oct. 9 at 878 Bethel Rd. This joins a location on Lane Avenue near campus.
- After lying dormant for a couple years, the ramen pop-up Mashita Noodles announced that they’re rebooting out of the High Street Kitchens ghost kitchen space at 2864 N. High St. in Clintonville.
- A third central Ohio location of the Chicken Salad Chick opened this week at 1056 Dublin Rd.
- Watershed Distillery has opened up the latest lottery for its six-year bourbon finished in brandy barrels.
- The newly launched Columbus Independents restaurant organization features its first gift card sale starting next week Wednesday, Oct. 11.
- Festival season is far from over! The Columbus Italian Festival is this weekend, Oct. 6-8, in Italian Village. The Columbus Taco Fest pops up at Goodale Park Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 7-8. And the Columbus Mac and Cheese Festival is tonight – Friday, oct. 6 – from 4-7:30 p.m. at Easton.
This week I’m also writing:
- Go On a Pastry Tour at Tous Les Jours Cafe and Bakery
- 5 Restaurants to Try This Month: October 2023
- Tastemakers 2023: Joel Cosme Jr. and Tara Mullins-Cosme (Columbus Monthly)
- List to Beth and I on the 614 Feast podcast!